Dan Fridman is an internationally recognized corporate crime and investigations lawyer. He has led some of the largest corporate investigations in Latin America, including:
- An accounting fraud investigation in Brazil of a U.S.-listed public company that resulted in a $100 million restatement of financial results. The Securities and Exchange Commission closed its investigation without taking any enforcement action;
- A Foreign Corrupt Practices Act internal investigation of a Brazilian multinational company involving the payment of over $120 million in bribes to Brazilian politicians; and
- A Foreign Corrupt Practices Act internal investigation of a major Argentine company implicated in the chauffer’s notebooks “cuadernos” bribery scandal. The thoroughness of the investigation assisted the company’s auditors in issuing unqualified financial statements.
Mr. Fridman also helps companies design and implement anti-bribery and corruption compliance programs. He was appointed by the Board of Directors of a major Brazilian company facing a corruption probe to assist the company in implementing a world-class compliance program. Over the years, he has also conducted internal investigations for multinational companies in the pharmaceutical, technology, insurance, banking, energy, and agricultural sectors.
Before founding Fridman, Fels & Soto, PLLC, Mr. Fridman was a Partner at White & Case, LLP, one of the largest law firms in the world, where he helped establish its Latin America Investigations practice. He has been recognized by Chambers USA, the world leader in lawyer rankings, as one of the top white-collar crime and government investigations lawyers in Florida and by Chambers Latin America as one of the top corporate crimes and investigations lawyers in the region.
Chambers USA wrote in 2019:
The ‘extremely smart, diligent and effective’ Daniel Fridman is sought after for his experience representing both individuals and corporations involved in DOJ investigations and white-collar criminal cases. He is especially well versed in matters with a Latin American component.
Chambers Latin America wrote in 2019:
Labelled “very pragmatic” and “someone who listens and understands his customers’ needs,” Daniel Fridman regularly leads complex corruption investigations in Brazil, Argentina and Mexico. Clients reveal: “He’s a very experienced, insightful and results-oriented lawyer.”
The key to Mr. Fridman’s success in assisting clients in Latin America is that he has native proficiency in Spanish and is able to conduct internal investigations in Latin America entirely in Spanish or Portuguese, without the need for document translations or interpreters. This ensures that such investigations proceed efficiently and rapidly, with nothing lost in translation. He has recently completed investigations involving Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Peru, and South Korea.
Mr. Fridman is a former Senior Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General of the United States and was Special Counsel for Health Care Fraud at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, DC. He advised the Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General in the George W. Bush Administration on national health care fraud enforcement policy, and he testified before U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives committees on law enforcement issues.
He also focuses his practice on representing companies and individuals facing criminal or civil cases brought by the U.S. Department of Justice. In a recent False Claims Act case, he defended the CEO of a national pharmacy that sold compounded pain and scar creams that were reimbursed by the TRICARE program. In another False Claims Act case, he defended a major PBM against allegations that the company defrauded the Medicare program by overbilling for diabetes supplies. He has also represented pharmaceutical and medical device company sales representatives in Anti-Kickback Statute investigations. He has represented doctors in civil litigation involving business disputes with national laboratories. He has also handled criminal tax cases where he obtained a sentence of probation in a failure to file case.
During his time as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of Florida, he prosecuted health care fraud, financial crimes, official corruption, aviation offenses, narcotics offenses, firearms offenses, and violent crimes. He was the lead prosecutor in numerous jury trials. After graduating from Harvard Law School, he clerked for the Honorable Alan S. Gold in the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Mr. Fridman was appointed in July 2019 by Governor Ron DeSantis to a four-year term on the Eleventh Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission, which interviews and recommends candidates to the Governor for appointment as circuit and county court judges. He previously served on the Commission from July 2011 to July 2019 as an appointee of Governor Rick Scott and was Chairman of the Commission in 2016. Approximately 40 currently sitting circuit and county court judges went through the JNC process during the time that Mr. Fridman has been serving on the Commission.
News Reports and Media Accounts
- “Ex-promotor Americano elogia expansão de compliance no Brasil,” Estadão, São Paulo August 19, 2018, available at: https://cultura.estadao.com.br/blogs/direto-da-fonte/ex-promotor-americano-elogia-expansao-de-compliance-no-brasil/
- “Pharmacy, PE Fund Owner Want Tricare FCA Suit Trashed,” Law360, April 18, 2018, available at: https://www.law360.com/articles/1034612/pharmacy-pe-fund-owner-want-tricare-fca-suit-trashed
- “He made big bucks off Ovaltine and fancy furniture. Was he ‘duped’ into dealing dirty gold?” The Miami Herald, January 16, 2018, available at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article194188324.html
- “Her Medicare fraud conviction was tossed out. Now Florida therapist wants U.S. to pay.” The Miami Herald, December 23, 2017, available at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article191338704.html
- “Scandal Ridden Brazil Company Hires Compliance Chief, White & Case Partner,” Corporate Counsel, June 15, 2017, available at: http://www.corpcounsel.com/home/id=1202790004665/ScandalRidden-Brazil-Company-Hires-Compliance-Chief-White–Case-Partner?mcode=1202617073467&curindex=0
- “Most Effective Lawyers 2011 Public Interest Finalist: A Successful Fight Against the Bureau of Prison’s ‘Gulag,’” Daily Business Review, December 26, 2011, available at: http://www.markuslaw.com/userimages/2011dbrpublicinterest.pdf
- “Bias in High Places,” Washington Post Editorial, June 29, 2008, available at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/28/AR2008062801748.html
- “Trends in U.S. Corruption Enforcement in Latin America,” Anti-Trust and Compliance Seminar, Buenos Aires, Argentina, April 23, 2019.
- “Managing Ethics, Compliance and Governance Risks in Brazil,” Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce, Houston, Texas, November 30, 2018.
- “Compliance on Top,” Legal Ethics and Compliance Institute, São Paulo, Brazil, December 6, 2018.
- “Assessment of Compliance Programs from the US Perspective,” Legal Ethics and Compliance Institute, São Paulo, Brazil, December 6, 2018.
- “Compliance and Enforcement Seminar with KPMG and White & Case,” Buenos Aires, Argentina, August 23, 2018.
- “A discussion with KPMG and White & Case on Brazil and the US: Compliance and Enforcement Update,” São Paulo, Brazil, August 20, 2018.
- “How to structure investigation protocols,” American Chamber of Commerce in Brazil: V Compliance Forum, August 17, 2018, São Paulo, Brazil.
- “Special Interview with the U.S. Department of Justice – FCPA Enforcement in the Andean Region: Updates on the New Policy Implementation, Priorities and Close Collaboration with Regional Prosecutors”, October 23-24, 2018: 3rd Andean Summit on Anti-Corruption Compliance & Enforcement, Bogotá, Colombia.
- “Corruption and Arbitration: What have we learnt so far?” April 26, 2018: Latin Lawyer – GAR Live 2nd Annual Arbitration Summit, Miami, Florida.
- “NYSE Equity Listing Breakfast Workshop,” December 2, 2016, Buenos Aires, Argentina (presented in Spanish).
- “Third Party and M&A Compliance Due Diligence – risk classification and scope,” WFaria Advogados’ Compliance and Internal Investigation International Meeting, December 1, 2016, São Paulo, Brazil.
- “A Hypothetical Case–Crisis Management and How to Handle an Internal Investigation During Corruption Allegations,” Anti-corruption and Compliance in Argentina—Is Your Company Ready?, November 29, 2016, Buenos Aires, Argentina (presented in Spanish).
- “Investigations and Crisis Management,” Latin Lawyer – GIR 4th Annual Anti-Corruption & Investigations Conference, October 20, 2016, São Paulo, Brazil.
- “Update on Anti-Corruption Issues in Latin America,” Emerging Markets Private Equity Association (EMPEA) Latin America Council Meeting, September 26, 2016, New York City.
- “Cross-border Compliance and Best Practices in Brazil and US – Challenges and Recent Cases,” New York University Law School Program on Corporate Compliance and Enforcement, American Chamber of Commerce in Brazil Compliance Trade Mission, September 13, 2016, New York City.
- “Practical Strategies to Conduct an Effective Internal Investigation – How to Ensure Independence and Avoid Conflicting Interests, Perceptions of Interference and Favoritism,” 6th Brazil Summit on Anti-Corruption, American Conference Institute, May 24, 2016, São Paulo, Brazil.
- “Anti-Bribery, Corruption, and Cross Border Investigations,” KPMG Global Forensic Conference, May 11, 2016, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- “Pathways to the Bench,” Dade County Bar Association – 5th Annual Bench & Bar Conference, February 26, 2016, Miami, Florida.
- “Brazil Anti-Corruption and Compliance: What Companies Need to Do Going Forward,” Brazil-Texas Chamber of Commerce Breakfast Seminar, February 16, 2016, Houston, Texas.
- “NYSE Equity Listing Breakfast Workshop,” White & Case Breakfast and Workshop, December 8, 2015, São Paulo, Brazil.
- “NYSE Equity Listing Breakfast Workshop,” December 9, 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina (presented in Spanish).
- “Fraud, Asset Tracing & Recovery, Arbitrating Fraud Cases: A Fraud Practitioner’s Perspective,” C5 4th Annual Forum, October 26-27, 2015, Miami Beach, Florida.
- “What Brazil’s Ongoing Corruption Investigations Mean for Doing Business in Latin America,” White & Case Breakfast Roundtable, September 17, 2015, Miami, Florida.
- “What Brazil’s Ongoing Corruption Investigations Mean for Doing Business in Latin America,” White & Case Breakfast Roundtable, September 16, 2015, New York, New York.
- “6th Annual Oil & Gas Conference, FCPA Enforcement: The Long Reach of U.S. Law,” LatinLawyer, May 29, 2015, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- “Anti-Corruption, How to Create a Home for the Whistle-Blower and Promote a Speak-Up Culture Amid Fears of Professional and ‘Social’ Retaliation,” 5th Annual Brazil Summit on Anti-Corruption, American Conference Institute, May 19-20, 2015, São Paulo, Brazil.
- “Anti-Corruption, Lessons Learned: What to do When a Problem is Discovered and How to Conduct an Effective Internal Investigation,” 2nd Annual Mexico Summit, American Conference Institute, March 24-25, 2015, Mexico City, Mexico (presented in Spanish).
- “Handling High-Tech Issues in Fraud Cases,” ABA Section of Public Contract Law’s Government Contracting in a Tech-Savvy World, October 30-31, 2014.
- “Considerations of Making Voluntary Disclosures to the Government – Whether, When, and How Whistleblower Trends May Change the Decision-Making Process,” ACI’s Anti-Corruption Boot Camp, October 15-16, 2014.
- “Unique Aspects of Health Care Mediation,” ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Mediation Week, Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS), October 14, 2014, Miami, Florida.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA, Ranked Band 2, White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations – Florida, 2016-2019
- Chambers Latin America, Ranked Band 3, Corporate Crime & Investigations – Latin America-wide, 2019
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence, 2019
- Legal 500, Ranked for Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2015-2019
- Latin America’s Legal Rising Stars, Latin Business Chronicle, 2013
- Daily Business Review, Rising Star “40 Under 40,” 2013
- South Florida Business Journal, “40 Under 40,” 2013
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, “40 Under 40” Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County, 2011
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers 2011, Finalist in Public Interest
- “Put Something Back” Pro Bono Award
- US Department of Justice Award for Special Achievement, 2007
- Harry S. Truman Scholar, 1995