Our Brazil Practice is headed up by Daniel Fridman. We help Brazilian individuals and companies navigate the U.S. legal system, litigate disputes in the courts, and deal with regulators and enforcement authorities, including the Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission. We have a deep commitment to Brazil. Over the last five years, Mr. Fridman has made over 40 trips to Brazil to assist clients with their most challenging legal disputes. Some examples of recent cases include:
- An accounting fraud investigation in Brazil of a U.S.-listed public company that resulted in a $100 million restatement of financial results. The Securities and Exchange Commission closed its investigation without taking any enforcement action.
- A Foreign Corrupt Practices Act internal investigation of a Brazilian multinational company involving the payment of over $120 million in bribes to Brazilian politicians.
- Representation of a Brazilian distributor of pharmaceuticals that was being investigated by counsel for the pharmaceutical company in the U.S. for potential involvement in bribery of government officials in Brazil. The investigation was resolved favorably for the Brazilian distributor and it retained its exclusive distribution rights in Brazil.
- Representation of a Brazilian citizen that was defrauded by an individual under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Assisted companies contemplating doing business in Brazil with anti-corruption and bribery due diligence.
- Assisted a Brazilian company facing a corruption probe in implementing a world-class compliance program.